Alphonso (Al) Tindall, Jr.’s international experience revolves around emerging markets work, where he is involved in the development of funds, joint ventures and infrastructure projects throughout Africa and the Caribbean. These projects include funding through various foreign and US sources, leveraging his significant public policy, public finance and general finance experience. In the private equity and alternative investment area, Mr. Tindall has extensive experience representing limited partners and governments in their investments in a variety of funds. His clients have included the states of California, Connecticut, Massachusetts, New York, New Jersey and the City of New York.
Mr. Tindall also has significant experience in state and states authority level issues, principally focusing on the development and implementation of state programs created for the benefit of local municipalities. He has also drafted public finance legislation in a number of states, including Connecticut and New York, and he is a frequent guest speaker at finance-related conventions throughout the United States.
Mr. Tindall has represented every major investment bank in the United States as underwriter’s counsel and has participated in virtually every kind of finance transaction from Connecticut to California. In his career, he has delivered bond or underwriter’s counsel opinions on more than $20 billion of financings. He has been instrumental in developing unique and innovative financing structures and programs for states and major cities.
Mr. Tindall has served on numerous boards and associations. He is a past chairman of the National Association of Securities Professionals (“NASP”). He had previously served as the organization’s chair-elect and general counsel, as well as a member of its Executive Committee. NASP, established in 1985, is a nonprofit organization with a membership in excess of 2,000 professionals in the securities industry. It is the only trade organization with a primary focus on the representation of minorities and women, bringing together the nation’s minorities and women who have achieved recognition in the industry as broker/dealers, asset managers, public finance consultants, investment bankers, bond attorneys, commercial bank underwriters, investors, and other securities related professionals. Mr. Tindall is also involved with the Ronald H. Brown Foundation, for which he serves on the Advisory Board and the Finance Committee.
- Mr. Tindall has served as bond counsel to the Dormitory Authority of the State of New York (“DASNY”), and he served as partner-in-charge in connection with the firm’s role as underwriters’ counsel on the DASNY financings.
- Mr. Tindall has represented the State of Connecticut for many years as private investment counsel and real estate investment counsel to the Treasurer of the State of Connecticut for the $25 billion Connecticut Retirement Plans and Trust Funds (“CRPTF”), consisting of six state pension and eight state trust funds. In such capacity, Mr. Tindall assists the Connecticut Treasurer, General Counsel and Pension Funds Management Division in the negotiation, documentation and closing of a wide array of investments and agreements for the CRPTF, including the state’s Private Investment Fund.
- From 2003 to 2007, Mr. Tindall served as investment counsel to the New York State Office of the State Comptroller ("OSDC") for the $154.5 billion New York State Common Retirement Fund (“CRF”), the third largest pension plan in the United States with over 1 million members, retirees and beneficiaries. In such capacity, Mr. Tindall assisted the OSDC in the negotiation, documentation and closing on hundreds of millions of dollars in CRF equity investments; such as international equities, real estate and absolute return strategies that meet the prudent investor standard (which comprise 70 percent of the Fund’s portfolio); and fixed income investments (which comprise the remaining 30 percent of the portfolio). The CRF is consistently ranked as one of the best among its peers and consistently outperforms its target return of 8 percent which has translated to saving millions of dollars for New York State taxpayers.
- Mr. Tindall served as investment counsel to the Comptroller of The City of New York (“New York City”) for the New York City Pension Funds investment portfolio. In such capacity, Mr. Tindall assisted the New York City Comptroller from 2005 to 2007 in the negotiation, documentation and closing of hundreds of millions of dollars in a wide array of investments and agreements for the respective funds, including liquid assets, as well as commitments to and investments in domestic and international venture capital, buyout, special situation and fund of funds.
- Mr. Tindall has served as investment counsel for alternative investments for the State of New Jersey.
- Mr. Tindall has been involved in issuances relating to sovereign debt offerings and establishing joint ventures relating to construction, real estate projects and franchise projects in Benin, Ghana, Senegal, South Africa, Tanzania, and Trinidad & Tobago.
- Mr. Tindall has assisted foreign entities in working through the privatization process, both for local companies and for strategic buyers, for banks, power companies and telecommunications companies.
- Mr. Tindall has represented developers and financiers of power plants and bio fuel producers in Africa.
- Mr. Tindall has served as bond counsel to the City of St. Louis for over 12 years in connection with its financings for Lambert-St. Louis International Airport, used to fund construction and certain improvements to Airport facilities as well as refunding outstanding debt. In addition, Mr. Tindall has provided ongoing advice to St. Louis with respect to various questions that arise from time to time under applicable state and federal law, the Airport’s trust agreement, rating agency issues, responses to the economic turndown, and with respect to tax compliance matters.
- Mr. Tindall has extensive experience serving as bond counsel, underwriter’s counsel and special tax counsel to state and local governments and public authorities located throughout the United States, including the states of Arizona, California, Connecticut, Florida, Georgia, Illinois, Massachusetts, Ohio, New York, Virginia, and the District of Columbia.
- Mr. Tindall has served as bond counsel, underwriters’ counsel or special counsel to such major cities as: Atlanta, Chicago, Cleveland, Hartford, Los Angeles, Miami, New Haven, New York, St. Louis and Washington D.C.
- Mr. Tindall served as bond counsel to The New York Local Assistance Corporation for several years, as well as the New York City Industrial Development Agency.
- Mr. Tindall served as bond counsel to the New York State Environmental Facilities Corporation.
- Among his active engagements, Mr. Tindall currently serves as bond counsel to the State of Connecticut in connection with its general obligation bonds and has served in such capacity for over 25 years, having served several State Treasurers in the process.
- Mr. Tindall is currently serving as sole bond counsel to the State of Connecticut in connection with its State Revolving Funds Clean Water Fund bond program, and has served in such capacity since that program’s inception, drafting much of the enabling legislation and amendments thereto.
- Mr. Tindall served as bond counsel and underwriters’ counsel to the State of Connecticut with respect to its unemployment compensation bonds and economic recovery notes.