Andrew Friedman primarily represents clients involved in government investigations. He has defended some of the largest corporations in the country in criminal and civil investigations and prosecutions, as well as in parallel administrative, regulatory and civil litigation. In particular, Mr. Friedman has substantial experience and expertise defending investigations involving antitrust, securities, foreign corrupt practices, banking law, environmental law, hedge funds, mining, export controls and contractor corruption. He also has significant experience counseling individuals and corporations involved in congressional investigations.
Mr. Friedman has also played a leading role in litigating defamation and other First Amendment-related claims, both at the trial and appellate level. He has successfully pursued and defended commercial litigation claims in a variety of subject matter areas.
Mr. Friedman’s first-chair trial experience began at the New Hampshire Public Defender. He also served as a law clerk for the former Chief Judge of the United States District Court for the Western District of Pennsylvania, as well as a judge in the Minnesota State District Court.
- Co-lead counsel in the successful defense of an international airline in an extensive criminal price-fixing investigation.
- Co-lead counsel in multi-year price-fixing investigation of one of the world’s largest freight forwarders. In addition, successfully advised the company in parallel civil debarment proceedings.
- Played a significant role on the defense team for an international ocean carrier in an in-depth criminal price-fixing investigation. Assisted with the defense of the company in parallel civil antitrust class-action litigation consolidated under multi-district rules.
- Has advised a number of companies and trade associations regarding discrete antitrust concerns arising from transactions, distribution relationships, customer relations, and general corporate/association antitrust compliance.
- Has served as antitrust counsel in merger/acquisition matters, specifically in anticipation of second requests by regulators.
- Co-Lead counsel to hedge fund investment adviser in connection with parallel federal criminal and SEC investigations of alleged fraudulent hedge fund fixed income investment practices.
- Co-Lead counsel to investment adviser investigated by SEC for fraud in connection with real estate investments.
- Co-lead counsel to board members and executives of a technology company in joint federal criminal and SEC investigation of alleged corporate accounting fraud and related individual criminal and securities-related exposure.
- Co-lead counsel to investment adviser in joint criminal/SEC investigation of international investment fraud.
- Co-lead counsel to former member of board of directors in criminal investigation of securities-related corporate transactions.
- Lead counsel to former employee in criminal investigation of hedge fund fraud.
- Co-lead counsel to corporate treasurer in SEC microcap fraud investigation.
- Lead counsel to numerous witnesses in securities-related government investigations.
- Played a significant role on the defense team for a hedge fund investment adviser subpoenaed to testify before Congress.
- Foreign corrupt practices, export violations and international fraud and corruption: has defended large corporations and individuals in investigations conducted by the U.S. Department of Justice, the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission, the World Bank and the Export-Import Bank.
- Government officials: represented a federal prosecutor in parallel investigations of alleged misconduct.
- Government oversight: represented several clients in investigations by House and Senate committees.
- Defamation: successfully pursued and defended defamation claims in state and federal courts throughout the United States, including multiple cases with political implications.