Andrew Friedman primarily represents clients involved in government investigations. He has defended some of the largest corporations in the country in criminal and civil investigations and prosecutions, as well as in parallel administrative, regulatory and civil litigation. In particular, Mr. Friedman has substantial experience and expertise defending investigations involving antitrust, securities, foreign corrupt practices, banking law, hedge funds, export controls and contractor corruption. He also has significant experience counseling individuals and corporations involved in congressional investigations. Mr. Friedman has guided clients through voluntary disclosures to civil and criminal enforcement bodies and proactive enhancements to their ethics and compliance functions as well.
Mr. Friedman has played a leading role in litigating defamation and other First Amendment-related claims, both at the trial and appellate level. He has successfully pursued and defended commercial litigation claims, including a number of contested proceedings, in a variety of subject matter areas. Mr. Friedman also counsels clients regarding antitrust issues that arise in the context of compliance programs, business relationships, trade association practices, and pre-merger due diligence.
Mr. Friedman recently achieved a significant trial victory for a client accused of a complicated fraud scheme in Central Europe. After successfully arguing for dismissal of the most serious count of the indictment at a preliminary stage, Friedman and co-counsel from Patton Boggs obtained acquittal on all remaining counts of the indictment after a ten-week trial in the courts of Kosovo.
Mr. Friedman’s first-chair trial experience began at the New Hampshire Public Defender. He also served as a law clerk for the former Chief Judge of the United States District Court for the Western District of Pennsylvania, as well as a judge in the Minnesota State District Court.
- Antitrust: Defended an international airline, one of the world’s largest international freight forwarders and an international ocean carrier in multi-year criminal investigations. Currently representing an executive in an investigation of auto parts price-fixing.
- Foreign corrupt practices, export violations and international fraud and corruption: Defended large corporations and individuals in investigations conducted by the U.S. Department of Justice, the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission, the World Bank and the Export-Import Bank. Successfully defended one of the largest energy corporations in the world in a multi-year FCPA investigation.
- Securities-related matters: Defended an investment advisor to a hedge fund in criminal and SEC investigations and related civil litigation; defended individuals in investigations of some of the largest investment frauds in U.S. history; defended senior officers and board members of a technology company in a joint criminal/SEC investigation of alleged accounting improprieties, securities violations and fraud; defended a former telecom corporate officer in an SEC investigation of alleged accounting improprieties and securities violations.
- Government officials: Represented a federal prosecutor in parallel investigations of alleged misconduct.
- Government oversight: Represented several clients in investigations by House and Senate committees.
- Defamation: Has successfully pursued and defended defamation claims in state and federal courts throughout the United States, at the trial level and on appeal, including multiple cases with political implications.