Ben Chew represents clients involved in commercial litigation and arbitration throughout the United States and internationally. He handles a wide variety of disputes, including class actions (prosecution and defense), intellectual property, breach of contract, Uniform Commercial Code, products liability, lease and other real estate transactions, personal injury, non compete, insurance law, trade association liability, fraud, RICO and defamation. He also serves as the firm’s primary litigator in Virginia state and federal cases.
Fluent in Spanish, Mr. Chew practices before myriad state and federal courts, including bankruptcy, where he has prosecuted and defended several adversary complaints, preference actions, and related matters. In recent years, he has successfully defended manufacturers and a major trade association in products liability cases across the nation and won defense verdicts for an oil services company in litigation which preserved the company’s core intellectual property. He successfully represented the Governments of Dubai, Ecuador, and Honduras in U.S. – based litigation, and represented a large U.S. multinational corporation against the Sandinista Government of Nicaragua in the Ninth Circuit.
Currently, he is representing the world’s largest manufacturer of industrial batteries in complex litigation in Delaware, prosecuting a major products liability case for a cosmetics company in federal court in New Jersey and serving as plaintiffs’ counsel for the largest single-profession pension plan in Canada in a securities class action pending in Alexandria, Virginia.
He also serves as Co-Chair of the firm’s Pro Bono Committee.
- Served as counsel for Plaintiffs in landmark class action discrimination cases against the U.S. Department of Agriculture - In re Black Farmers settled for $1.2 billion – and Keepseagle, settled for $760 million.
- Successfully defended multidistrict action on behalf of a dietary supplements manufacturer in the U.S. District Court for the District of Massachusetts.
- Won intellectual property/corporate opportunity case in U.S. District Court in Reno, Nevada, preserving company’s right to ownership of process at issue and zeroing out plaintiffs’ claim for more than $100 million in damages.
- Represented the Government of Dubai, won dismissal of petition to enforce a $25 million-plus arbitration award in the U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia.
- Represented the Republic of Honduras, won summary judgment defeating multinational corporation’s claims for breach of contract and fraud in the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Florida, upheld by the Eleventh Circuit.
- Won summary judgment for major U.S. shipbuilder in a breach of contract case in the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia (Alexandria Division).
- Successfully defended and settled case for multinational insurance company in the Eastern District of Virginia (Richmond Division).
- Secured comprehensive injunctive relief for government contractor in RICO/patent infringement/breach of contract case in the Eastern District of Virginia (Norfolk Division).