Ben Chew represents clients involved in commercial litigation and arbitration throughout the United States and internationally. He handles a wide variety of disputes, including class actions (prosecution and defense), intellectual property, government contracts, breach of contract, Uniform Commercial Code, defamation, products liability, lease and other real estate transactions, personal injury, non compete, insurance law, trade association liability, fraud, RICO and defamation. He also serves as the firm’s primary litigator in Virginia state and federal cases.
Fluent in Spanish, Mr. Chew practices before myriad state and federal courts, including bankruptcy, where he has prosecuted and defended several adversary complaints, preference actions, and related matters. In recent years, he has successfully defended manufacturers and a major trade association in products liability cases across the nation and won defense verdicts for an oil services company in litigation which preserved the company’s core intellectual property. He successfully represented the Governments of Dubai, Ecuador, and Honduras in U.S. – based litigation, and represented a large U.S. multinational corporation against the Sandinista Government of Nicaragua in the Ninth Circuit.
Currently he represents one of the five largest U.S. defense contractors in litigation in the District of Colorado and the Eastern District of Virginia (“EDVA”) prosecuting claims for breach of contract, Lanham Act violations and patent infringement. He is local counsel for class representative Ontario Teachers’ Pension Plan Board in securities class action litigation in the EDVA. Mr. Chew serves as co-lead counsel in the defense of the CEO at an ongoing EULEX trial in Kosovo, represents Dominican plaintiffs in a defamation action pending in Massachusetts and a Swedish automaker in its case for tortious interference against General Motors in Detroit.
Mr. Chew also serves as Chair of the firm’s Commercial Litigation & Antitrust Matters Group and Co-Chair of its Pro Bono Committee.
- Served as counsel for Plaintiffs in landmark class action discrimination cases against the U.S. Department of Agriculture - In re Black Farmers settled for $1.2 billion – and Keepseagle, settled for $760 million.
- Successfully defended multidistrict action on behalf of a dietary supplements manufacturer in the U.S. District Court for the District of Massachusetts.
- Won intellectual property/corporate opportunity case in U.S. District Court in Reno, Nevada, preserving company’s right to ownership of process at issue and zeroing out plaintiffs’ claim for more than $100 million in damages.
- Represented the Government of Dubai, won dismissal of petition to enforce a large arbitration award in the U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia, 360 F. Supp. 2d 136 (D.D.C. 2005).
- Represented the Republic of Honduras, won summary judgment defeating multinational corporation’s claims for breach of contract and fraud in the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Florida, upheld by the Eleventh Circuit. 40 F.3d 380 (11th Cir. 1994).
- Successfully prosecuted case for current Prime Minister of Georgia in the European Court of Human Rights (2012).
- Won summary judgment for major U.S. shipbuilder in a breach of contract case in the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia (Alexandria Division).
- Successfully defended case for multinational insurance company in the Eastern District of Virginia (Richmond Division).
- Secured comprehensive injunctive relief for government contractor in RICO/patent infringement/breach of contract case in the Eastern District of Virginia (Norfolk Division).