James E. Tyrrell, Jr. is the managing partner of the greater New York/New Jersey offices of Patton Boggs, national chair of the Firm’s Toxic Tort and Product Liability practice groups, and a member of its Executive Committee. Mr. Tyrrell’s experience includes toxic tort, product liability, intellectual property (IP), antitrust and general commercial litigation.
In the area of toxic torts, Mr. Tyrrell served as chief trial counsel for a prominent agricultural company in Agent Orange litigation, national coordinating counsel for a leading research-based pharmaceutical company in the DES litigation, national counsel for the largest American-owned wine and spirits business in alcohol-related litigation, chief science counsel in litigation involving a world-leading steel manufacturer and distributor and counsel for one of the 10 largest Fortune 100 companies in silicon gel breast implant litigation. Mr. Tyrrell also serves as product liability counsel for a PCBs and chemicals corporation, a large consumer product and toy company and numerous other manufacturers.
In the developing areas of IP litigation and e-commerce, Mr. Tyrrell serves as national coordinating counsel for a technologies company, representing it on a wide range of IP and trade secret cases. Mr. Tyrrell also represents numerous communications companies and other leading corporations across many industries.
After serving as an associate at a large law firm, Mr. Tyrrell became the youngest equity partner with another notable firm in Manhattan. In other law firm experience before coming to Patton Boggs, Mr. Tyrrell was a senior partner and headed one firm’s largest litigation team, and he was later the managing partner of the New Jersey office of a highly-ranked Am Law 100 firm. Mr. Tyrrell also served as a lieutenant in the Navy Judge Advocate General’s Corps.
A member of numerous associations, Mr. Tyrrell has served on the Federal Legislation Committee and currently serves as chairman of the Board of Directors of the Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy Syndrome Association of America.
- World Trade Center Litigation: Oversight and management of the defense for the city of New York and over 150 contractors in multi-district litigation venued in the Southern District of New York, arising from response actions taken at the World Trade Center after the 9/11 terrorist attacks.
- In Re Agent Orange Product Litigation: Represented a leading provider of agricultural products and solutions in connection with a multidistrict litigation involving 2.4 million war veterans; in U.S. history, this ranks as the largest product liability litigation.
- AIDS Litigation: Represented chemical company in AIDS diagnosis case.
- Asbestos Litigation: Represented several defendants regarding alleged exposure to items that contained asbestos.
- Silicone Implant Litigation: Defended one of the world’s largest organizations in silicone breast implant cases.