Jay Tannon focuses his practice on private equity and infrastructure, primarily in the energy, communication and transportation sectors.
Mr. Tannon has represented several leading private equity funds and strategic investors in transactions of scale, often on a multinational basis. Before joining Patton Boggs, he served in leadership roles at various international law firms, including executive committee positions and experience leading private equity and energy practices. Mr. Tannon co-founded Novus Energy Partners, a transatlantic growth equity investment firm focused on new energy technology.
Mr. Tannon has served on the USTR/U.S. Department of Commerce International Advisory Committee for Services, and he represented the Commonwealth of Virginia on the Southern Technology Council. He helped the China Council for Promotion of International Trade (CCPIT) and the CPR Institute of Dispute Resolution create the US-China Business Mediation Center operating in Beijing and New York.
Mr. Tannon often writes for professional publications and addresses legal and business audiences on a range of topics, including private equity, international business acquisitions, energy and infrastructure.
- Advised a leading, privately held Spanish engineering and construction company in U.S. wind and solar power generation projects.
- Advised the Port Authority of Virginia in evaluating three bids to operate the Port of Norfolk, Virginia.
- Advised the Special Committee of a NYSE-listed broadcast company in its privatization by a NYSE-listed media company.
- Advised leading Canadian pension funds in the attempted acquisition of U.S. toll road interests.
- Advised a publicly traded Canadian communications firm in the acquisition of Western U.S. cable interests.
- Advised a Chinese golf club development company in U.S. golf course acquisitions as well as in its negotiations with leading golf club designers and major champions.
- Advised a NYSE-listed logistics company in the acquisition of air cargo operations in 14 Latin American countries, as well as a series of customs brokerage acquisitions.
- Advised a NYSE-listed financial services company in the acquisition of a warranty services company.
- Advised a global private equity consortium in the acquisition of distressed European solar sector manufacturing assets.
- Advised a clean tech investment consortium in a growth capital investment in a quantum dot nanotechnology company.
- Advised an Australian superannuation fund on the attempted acquisition of a U.S. highway partnership
- Advised a premier Canadian private equity firm and its affiliates in a series of U.S. business acquisitions and investments, including, illustratively, platform companies in heath care, financial services, construction, food and beverage, cosmetics, inventory management, automotive supply, aviation services and communications equipment.