Jay Tannon focuses his practice on private equity and infrastructure, primarily in the energy, communication and transportation sectors.
Mr. Tannon has represented several leading private equity funds and strategic investors in transactions of scale, and often on a multinational basis. Before joining Patton Boggs, he served in leadership roles at various international law firms, including executive committee positions and experience leading private equity and energy practices. Mr. Tannon has co-founded two companies: Novus Energy Partners, a transatlantic growth equity investment firm focused on new energy technology; and American Infrastructure Partners LLC, an infrastructure investment and advisory firm.
Mr. Tannon has served on the USTR/U.S. Department of Commerce International Advisory Committee for Services, and he represented the Commonwealth of Virginia on the Southern Technology Council. He helped the China Council for Promotion of International Trade (CCPIT) and the CPR Institute of Dispute Resolution create the US-China Business Mediation Center operating in Beijing and New York.
Mr. Tannon often writes for professional publications and addresses legal and business audiences on a range of topics, including private equity, international business acquisitions, energy and infrastructure.
- Advised the British seller of an online marketing services company to a U.S. public company.
- Advised a leading, privately held Spanish engineering and construction company in U.S. wind and solar power generation projects.
- Advised the Special Committee of a NYSE-listed broadcast company in its privatization by a NYSE-listed media company.
- Advised leading Canadian pension funds in the attempted acquisition of U.S. toll road interests.
- Advised a publicly traded Canadian communications firm in the acquisition of Western U.S. cable interests.
- Advised U.S. acquirer of online automotive trading businesses in Turkey.
- Advised a Chinese golf club development company in US golf course acquisitions as well as in its negotiations with leading golf club designers and major champions.
- Advised a NYSE-listed financial services company in the acquisition of a warranty services company.
- Advised a global private equity consortium in the acquisition of distressed European solar sector manufacturing assets.
- Advised a clean tech investment consortium in a growth capital investment in a quantum dot nanotechnology company.
- Advised an Australian superannuation fund on the attempted acquisition of a US highway partnership
- Advised a premier Canadian private equity firm and its affiliates in a series of U.S. business acquisitions and investments, including, illustratively, platform companies in health care, financial services, construction, food and beverage, cosmetics, inventory management, automotive supply, aviation services and communications equipment.
- Advised a NYSE-listed logistics company in the acquisition of air cargo operations in 14 Latin American countries, as well as a series of customs brokerage acquisitions.