Kwame Manley focuses his practice on white-collar criminal matters, internal and government investigations, and complex civil litigation. A former federal prosecutor, Mr. Manley defends individuals and companies in investigations by the United States Department of Justice (DOJ), Offices of the United States Attorneys (USAO), Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC), State Attorneys General, Federal Election Commission (FEC), and other investigative entities. His experience includes defending matters involving alleged mail, wire, accounting and bank fraud, money laundering, SBA, and immigration violations, as well as investigations under the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA) and False Claims Act (FCA).
Before joining Patton Boggs, Mr. Manley served as Assistant United States Attorney and Deputy Chief at the United States Attorney’s Office for the District of Maryland, where he prosecuted white-collar, money laundering and violent crime cases. Mr. Manley conducted multiple grand jury investigations and personally prosecuted more than 150 criminal matters. He tried numerous cases to verdict, successfully handling cases from the early stages of investigation, to all trial proceedings, appeals and post-conviction challenges.
Prior to his work as a federal prosecutor, Mr. Manley practiced law at Williams & Connolly LLP in Washington, D.C., where he focused on defending individuals and companies in criminal and civil litigation. Mr. Manley clerked for the Honorable Henry H. Kennedy, Jr., United States District Judge for the District of Columbia.
Mr. Manley attended Harvard Law School, where he served as Notes Editor of the Harvard Law Review and also received a Master in Public Administration degree from the Harvard Kennedy School of Government.
- Counsel for multinational corporation regarding FCPA investigations in Europe and Africa.
- Counsel for Fortune 100 company in FCPA investigations in Latin America.
- Counsel for senior executive in FCPA investigation in Mexico.
- Counsel for Chief Executive Officer regarding alleged bribery investigation.
- Counsel for Foreign Sovereign Government in U.S. Department of Justice (DOJ) investigation
- Counsel for Foreign Government Leaders on money laundering and structuring allegations in federal court
- Counsel for corporation regarding False Claims Act matters with DOJ
- Counsel for multi-state health care management corporation for alleged FCA violations.
- Counsel for multiple hospice organizations in FCA proceedings.
- Counsel for senior executive in Small Business Administration internal investigation.
- Counsel for corporation regarding alleged immigration and SEC violations.
- Counsel for executive regarding alleged FEC violations.
- Counsel for individual regarding alleged bank fraud and money laundering investigation.
- Counsel for White House appointee in Office of Inspector General investigation.
Matters in Government
- Prosecuted $40 million money laundering and wire fraud case involving electronic fencing operations in Maryland, New York, Texas and Florida.
- Prosecuted fraudulent Medicare billing scheme involving companies and pharmacies in the United States and Eastern Europe.
- Prosecuted businesses and individuals in extensive mortgage fraud conspiracy in Washington, D.C., Maryland and Virginia.
- Prosecuted individuals for $28 million tax evasion scheme.
- Prosecuted employees in kickback scheme involving bank funds.