Michael W. Anderson solves problems for international and domestic clients. He integrates a wide-range of experiences and knowledge to devise creative solutions that meet client goals. His disciplined and methodical approach delivers results.
Representative Matters - International Expertise
Private Investment Funds
- Sponsor – represented China-based private equity firm in the formation of a $1 billion investment fund.
- Investor – represented Middle East-based sovereign wealth funds in over ten fund investments.
- Partnership – advised private equity investors on partnership tax issues.
- U.S. Outbound Investment – drafted tax primer for domestic client expanding business internationally.
- Sovereign Immunity – advised clients on preserving sovereign immunity and provided Section 892 analysis.
- Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA) – assisted client with responding to DOJ investigation.
- Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC) – advised Middle Eastern clients regarding OFAC compliance and response to congressional hearings.
- Committee on Foreign Investment in the United States (CFIUS) – represented Middle Eastern client in purchase and structuring of real estate property; assist clients with voluntary notice filings before CFIUS.
Mr. Anderson’s international expertise is strengthened by on-the-ground experience in the Middle East, having spent 16 months in Doha, Qatar. During that time he worked for Patton Boggs’ Doha office and taught at the Qatar University School of Law.
Representative Matters - Domestic Expertise
Private Investment Funds
- Sponsor – represented a middle market investor in the formation of a $100 million investment fund; represented a secondary market investor in the formation of a $20 million investment fund.
- Investor – represented a New York-based private equity fund in multiple domestic fund investments.
- Investment Adviser Registration – Advise clients on all steps of registration as investment advisers including setting up SAA accounts, completing and revising Forms ADV and PF, and communicating with representatives at the SEC and FINRA.
- General Tax – Advise clients on various tax issues including, but not limited to, sales and use taxation of aircraft; excise taxation of medical devices; tax issues related to corporate restructuring; taxation of private investment funds; and serving as a liaison between the client and the IRS.
- Due Diligence – assisted client with corporate due diligence in preparation for an IPO; assisted client with multiple due diligence analyses of potential business partners.
- Corporate governance – assisted clients with drafting corporate governance documents including bylaws and articles of incorporation.
- Non-Profit – assisted clients with filling out 1023 applications and successfully obtaining tax-exempt status; advising clients on maintaining tax-exempt status.
Prior to beginning the practice of law, Mr. Anderson worked as a tax accountant in the banking and financial markets, hedge fund and mutual fund practices of Ernst &Young LLP in New York. In addition, he worked as a management consultant.